Chicken Caprese Zoodles with Avocado Spinach Pesto
When it comes to summer go-to’s, one of the first dishes that comes to mind is a beautiful Caprese salad. In my opinion, there is truly nothing more refreshing and delicious.
This recipe is my spin on my fave salad, but instead of just being a starter, now you can have Caprese for the whole meal! (I mean, I’ve definitely had Caprese salad for dinner before, but this recipe has more nutritional components. I added some garlic chicken as a protein and then sautéed spiralized zucchini noodles in a skillet with olive oil, salt and pepper. While those were cooking, I made my avocado pesto recipe in a food processor. And finally, I sliced sweet cherry tomatoes and ciliegine cheese in half to top everything off.
Chicken + Zoodles
2 chicken breasts
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large zucchinis, spiralized (or two boxes of fresh pre-spiralized zucchini noodles — non-frozen)
Olive oil for pan
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Avocado Spinach Pesto
1 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup spinach
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Water (optional — for thinning out the creaminess of the sauce)
10 ciliegine balls, halved
10 sweet cherry tomatoes, halved
Fresh cut basil, to taste
1) Season your chicken generously with sea salt and pepper. Cut into slices and set aside.
2) Season two large skillets with olive oil over medium heat. Let the olive oil sit for 1-2 minutes until properly heated.
3) In a large bowl, combine zucchini noodles, olive oil, salt and pepper.
4) In one skillet, add garlic and sautée for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the chicken and let it cook on medium heat.
5) In the other skillet, add zucchini noodles and sautée on medium low heat.
6) While the chicken and zucchini noodles are cooking, add all avocado pesto ingredients to a food processor and blend until creamy. If the mixture is too creamy, add a little bit of water to thin it out.
7) Flip the chicken to cook the other side.
8) Turn the heat off of the zucchini noodles and pour the avocado pesto onto the noodles, flipping them around until fully coated.
9) Plate the noodles and top with chicken, ciliiegine, tomatoes and fresh basil. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and enjoy!