DIY Levain Chocolate Walnut Cookies
Ask any New Yorker where to find the best chocolate chip cookie, and they’ll likely direct you uptown toward Levain Bakery. I wanted to recreate these amazing cookies at home, for all those who don’t have access to Levain. Or for those who just love to bake. Or for both! Whatever the reason, I guarantee this recipe will make you feel warm and happy inside.
Serving size: 8 (6oz each) cookies
1 1/4 cup cold butter cut into small cubes
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup cake flour
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp kosher salt
2 cups roughly chopped walnuts
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 410 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixer, place cold butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Turn mixer to low speed at
first, then increase speed gradually, all lasting around 2 minutes until ingredients are combined to a creamy texture. Make sure to constantly scrap off sides of bowl.
3. Add in eggs and mix at medium speed until fully combined.
4. Next, add in the rest of all dry ingredients (cake flour, cornstarch, baking soda, all purpose flour, and salt) and mix at low speed until fully combined.
5. Add in walnuts and mix at low speed, followed by the chocolate chips at low speed as well, until both are evenly distributed in the mixture.
6. Remove dough from mixer onto a flat surface; dough should have a sticky and thick consistency.
7. Gently mix in chocolate chips and walnuts a few more times with hands to ensure they are evenly distributed.
7. Divide mix into eight large balls (should each be approx. 6 oz each) and place on baking sheet with parchment paper. Make sure to leave enough room between each.
8. Place baking sheet with dough balls in the oven and bake for approximately 13 minutes until tops of cookies are golden brown.
9. Once baked, let cool for about 15-20 minutes.