Veggie Fried Rice
I love fried rice. Just because it has "fried" in the name doesn't mean it's unhealthy. If you make your own fried rice, you will know exactly what goes into it and avoid any MSG or unwanted ingredients from your fave takeout restaurants. You can make this recipe with either classic white rice or brown rice.
(double measurements to serve 2)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dried rice (this will yield 1 1/2 cups when it's cooked)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup onions, diced
- 1/3 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Optional: peas, scallions, bean sprouts, protein
- Note: If you want this to taste like Chinese take out, up the garlic powder, up the butter and up the soy sauce.
1. Combine water and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
2. Add dried rice to the water and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and let sit for 10-15 minutes, until soft in consistency.
3. In a small skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter and scramble the egg. Remove from the pan and chop into pieces. Set aside.
4. Heat a large skillet on medium heat and melt butter. Add your carrots, onions, broccoli and garlic and sautée until slightly browned, about two minutes.
5. Add the rice and continue sautéeing. Add 1 teaspoon of soy sauce to the rice and mix until the rice develops color. Add the egg and continue sautéeing for another 2 minutes or so. Season with garlic salt and continue mixing.
6. Remove from heat and serve!