Peanut Lime Zucchini Noodles with Sautéed Veggies
When I lived downtown and was addicted to takeout, I would shell out like $17.50 (plus tip) for a dish at one of my fave macrobiotic restaurants called Souen. The dish I loved was basically mixed veggies with shrimp in a peanut lime sauce. It also came with a cup of brown rice. $17.50. The reason I kept going back for more is because that damn sauce. It was fucking delicious. All their sauces are delicious. But, when I moved uptown and knocked sense into myself that $17.50 isn't an appropriate amount of money to pay for veggies and shrimp, this is the recipe I came up with. You can also serve it with a cup of brown rice if you want to add some carbs. I honestly prefer it with the rice, but I know lots of people are anti-carb, so I wanted to cater to you anti-carbie barbies as well.
Also, I love this sauce so much that I published it as a separate recipe so you can use it on other fun things like rice noodles.... chicken....shrimp....a spoon....
Zucchini noodle mixture
2 zucchini, spiralized into noodles
1 ½ cups kabocha squash, cubed
½ cup carrots, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup broccoli, chopped
½ cup white onion, chopped
¾ cup mushrooms, sliced
¾ cup sugar snap peas
¼ cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 lime, juiced
1 ½ tablespoon peanut oil
1. Cut your zucchini into noodles using a julienne peeler or spiralizer.
2. Drain the water from the noodles with a cheese cloth, sprinkle with salt and let them sit.
3. Combine 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup water in a sauce pan. Heat on high until the water reaches a boil, then add the kabocha squash and carrots. Cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until soft.
4. Strain the kabocha and carrots and set aside.
5. Add peanut oil to a large skillet and cook zucchini noodles and vegetables over medium heat for 3 minutes.
6. Add carrots and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables are slightly browned.
7. Remove the zucchini noodle mixture and mix in the kabocha squash.
8. In a separate small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients until smooth.
9. Mix the peanut lime sauce into the zucchini noodle mixture and serve