Brown Butter Salted Caramel Cake
This cake is the ultimate Fall flavor explosion. Each step is listed below, but you can also use store bought salted caramel sauce or store bought apple pie filing. However, I recommend making every step because this is so delussssshhiouss!!!
BROWN BUTTER CAKE
3 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup apple cider
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a light colored sauce pan, heat the butter on medium-low heat until melted. Continue cooking and stirring frequently until the butter begins to develop a light brown color and a nutty aroma. Once the butter is browned, remove the pan from the heat and pour the browned butter into a heatproof bowl.
2. Let the butter cool until it reaches room temperature. Then, put the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, until cold.
3. Once the butter is hardened, re-soften at room temperature until it is ready to cream with sugar.
4. When the butter is finally softened, prepare to make the cake by preheating the oven to 35o degrees.
5. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated and brown sugar until evenly combined.
6. Add the brown butter and cream with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy — about 3-5 minutes.
7. Add each egg, one by one, until each is combined with the butter and sugar.
8. Once the eggs have been added, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl or cup, combine the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
9. Slowly add the flour mixture to the mixer until it is thoroughly combined and a smooth batter forms — about 1-2 minutes.
10. Add the buttermilk and vanilla until combined. Then, add the apple cider.
11. Continue mixing until the batter is smooth.
12. Pour the batter into two prepared 8″ cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
13. Once the cakes are cooked, set them out to cool and prepare the salted caramel and apple filling.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a sauce pan, combine the sugar and the water and stir until evenly mixed. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until light brown in color — about 10 minutes.
2. In another sauce pan, heat the heavy cream and mix the warm heavy cream with the cooked sugar/water mixture. Whisk together and add the butter. Remove the sauce pan from the heat and continue whisking until thoroughly combined.
3. Add the salt and continue mixing until a lovely caramel sauce is formed.
Pour the caramel sauce into a jar and let it cool.
APPLE CIDER FILLING
4 cups sliced apples
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup apple cider
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. In a bowl, mix together corn starch and 1/4 cup apple cider.
2. In a sauce pan, sprinkle lemon juice over the apple slices.
3. Add the sugar, the rest of the apple cider, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until combined.
4. Heat this mixture on medium heat until warm and add the cornstarch apple cider mixture. Continue mixing until the texture becomes thick and gel-like. Let it bubble for about 1 minute and remove from heat.
5. Set the filling aside in a bowl and let it cool before adding to the cake.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE
1. Remove both cakes from the pan. Slice the top off of one of the cakes, creating a flat surface. Next, add a nice thick layer of salted caramel sauce on top of the first cake and top with a healthy portion of the apple cider filling.
2. Top with the second cake round and pour the rest of salted caramel on top along with more apple filling. This could get messy so make sure to do this over parchment paper or something you don’t mind getting covered in caramel.
3. Let the cake sit out and serve!