Southwestern Mac n' Cheese Cornbread Bowls
CORN BREAD BISCUIT BOWL
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup butter, cold, finely sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Cupcake tray, with cupcake liners
MACARONI & CHEESE
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons flouR
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup shredded pepperjack
- ¼ cup Mexican 4 cheese blend
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup scooped cornbread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon sriracha
FOR THE CORNBREAD BISCUIT BOWL:
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar).
- Gradually mix in the butter, making sure it is cold and finely sliced. Use your fingers to press the butter into the dry mixture.
- Once the butter has been evenly spread with the cornbread mixture, begin to add milk to the mix.
- Knead the dough until the milk and butter have been completely mixed into dry ingredients.
- Pull out about 1-inch balls from the dough.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners
- Press the dough balls into the center of the cupcake liners and spread them out flat to fill the liners
- Place the tray into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the center of each biscuit.
- Line the base of the bowls with shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend.
- Make the breadcrumbs and macaroni and cheese, following the instructions below. Mix the breadcrumbs with the noodles.
- Spoon the macaroni into the biscuit bowls.
- Top off the bowls with more cheese and Sriracha drizzle if you want some spice.
- Bake the bowls for 3 minutes to melt that cheeeeeeeeeeese.
FOR THE MACARONI & CHEESE:
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and add the macaroni, cooking the noodles for roughly 10 minutes.
- Once the macaroni has cooked, add the butter, salt, flour, milk and cheese to the macaroni. If you like your macaroni extra cheesy, just add more cheese.
FOR THE BREADCRUMBS:
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Take ¼ cup scooped cornbread biscuit crumbs, 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs and a teaspoon of sriracha and stir into the melted butter.
- Stir all the breadcrumbs into the Mac n cheese.